Welcome to Inside Water. Australia is learning to adapt to an increasingly scarce water situation and I hope to share some of our experiences and insights in an international context.
Australia has made water management mistakes in the past, including over-allocation, environmental degradation, poor water use practices causing salinity, and failure to adequately manage the risks of a growing urban population. In many of these areas Australia has learned from the past and is finding new solutions to old problems.
Some of the ways that Australia is responding are through:
- National integrated water policy
- River basin/valley water sharing plans
- Sustainable use and allocation programs
- Water trading to underpin economic and industry efficiency
- Major environmental flows investments
- Dramatically reduced per capita urban demand and improved use efficiency
- Diversified urban water supplies – including demand recycling and desalination
Through this blog I hope to get ‘Inside Water’, share our experiences and learn from yours. In order to start a dialogue I encourage your comments and feedback.